[K12OSN] Linux "Software RAID"

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 13:19:28 UTC 2008

I"ve enjoyed reading this thread, but have a question: I thought one
of the reasons to continue using RAID 5 vs RAID 1 was speed.  Tests on
my systems show that the RAID 5 I/O is at least 3x the speed of RAID
1.  I have hardware based RAID (either 3ware SATA controllers (large
disks) or Adaptec SCSI).  I put the OS on a RAID 1, and all data (e.g.
/home) is on a RAID 5.  I know I could get very cheap SATA drives and
my controllers support  mirroring so perhaps that is the next step.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins