Re: [K12OSN] Firefox 3 downgrade

David Hopkins wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Nils Breunese <nils breun nl> wrote:
David Hopkins wrote:

I have upgraded most of my systems to CentOS 5.2 which includes
upgradiing FF to 3.01. But ... FF3 is incredibly slow, much slower
than my sole remaining FF2 system which is running an older version of
Fedora.  Browsing the mozilla forum, it seems that this is being
observed by others. One option is to figure out why it is so slow.
Another is to downgrade.  I'd select downgrade but I get lots of
unresolved dependencies  (using CentOS).  Has anyone else on the list
had issues with FF3?
CentOS 5.2's Firefox 3 works fine on our (K12LTSP 5EL 64-bit) server AFAIK.

That is part of the problem ... it works fine for some and is dismal
for others.  It is taking 30-40 secs just to load pages like ccn.com,
msnbc.com.  If I click on another tab, wait a second, and click back,
then it loads the page much more quickly.  I just re-installed it on
one of my 32bit systems and it installed 30+ language packs as well.
I am posting this email from a fresh install of CentOS 5.2 x86_64
without a single plugin and it is still slow.  I have tried deleting
the .mozilla directory and that didn't change the behavior at all. The
other behavior I've noticed is that if I uninstall the package, the
overall system performance improves (like file copies, loading other
apps) but once I install the rpm, it slows down again. Very very
strange.  I'd like to go back to FF2 but can't seem to find a
repository that has that version. I can download the rpm and then I
get unresolved dependencies (like system-bookmarks).

I have a new x86_64 server that I need to install, so I'll try that
with the latest k12ltsp EL version and see what happens.

Thanks
Dave Hopkins

RPM repositories aren't always the answer. You could do it the same way I do it on some of my systems (CentOS, Slackware, etc.). Just download the Firefox 2 tarball (not the "installer" package, I mean the other one, it's about 9.3MB), un-tar it into, say, the "/usr/local/firefox2" directory, and symlink /usr/bin/firefox to /usr/local/firefox2/firefox. Boom, you should be good to go.

Here's how I do it, step by step:

1.) Download Firefox 2.x to some directory (we'll say /home/temporary for this example).
2.)  Become root.
3.)  cd /usr/local
4.)  tar -xvzf /home/temporary/firefox-2.0.0.x.tar.gz
5.)  ls -l  (you should see a "firefox" directory now)
6.) mv firefox firefox2.0.0.x (this is just for you to remember which version of FF it is) 7.) ln -s /usr/local/firefox2.0.0.x /usr/local/firefox (just a symlink to make it slightly easier to upgrade later, not required)
8.)  cd /usr/bin
9.)  mv firefox firefox.bak
10.)  ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox

And then, give 'er a spin. You should be able to click on any of the "Firefox Web Browser" icons and have v2.0.0.x come up.

--TP