Re: [K12OSN] Fedora 9 Live LTSP Server, Beta 1

Warren Togami wrote:

Are people giving this a try?

This is THE successor of K12LTSP so I really expect people to try it and give me feedback. Even "Hey it works great!" is more helpful than silence. I am also interested in suggestions to improve the README file that the user is faced with.

Since releasing Beta 1, I fixed a pile of bugs and added some missing features like making Etherboot clients boot automatically. Due to the many fixes there will be a Beta 2 image soon before the planned release candidate.

I really appreciate all the work you've put into this K12LTSP successor, but as long as it's Fedora-based it's not really an interesting option for us. Let me explain: until this was released the CentOS-based K12LTSP 5EL was the only supported K12LTSP release (since the last Fedora-based release was based on Fedora Core 6 which reached EOL some time ago) and since we're running LTSP servers in places that have no on site support staff and where volunteers are using the computers I'd rather not go and install a Fedora-based distribution. I like Fedora for a personal/development desktop, but these are places where everything has to just work and keep on working for longer periods of time.

With the amount of updates coming out for Fedora and the much shorter lifecycle (13 months for Fedora versus 7 years for CentOS) it's just not something I look forward to installing in production. I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'd just like to let you know.

Again, I do appreciate all the hard work.

Nils Breunese.