[K12OSN] Sky high load average with FF and CentOS?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Aug 23 13:38:59 UTC 2008

Hi William!

Try installing adblock at the proxy filter instead.
http://notes.ozmonet.com/index.php?title=Network-Wide_Adblock
This will use the adblock filter list and squid/squidguard to block the
adds for the network.

I may have to look at making that a default plugin for squidguard
installs :-)

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 12:35 -0400, William Fragakis wrote:
> Hi,
> FF3 under certain situations can devote a decent amount of cpu when the
> history sidebar is open.
>
> Also, if anyone knows how to install the adblock plugin across all the
> users, that'd be helpful in cutting down flash ads and unnecessary
> graphics.
> Regards,
> William
>
> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 12:00 -0400, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:20:42 -0400
> > From: "David Hopkins" <dahopkins429 at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [K12OSN] Sky high load average with FF and CentOS?
> > To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
> >         <k12osn at redhat.com>
> >
> > An interesting (some might say irrititating) problem.  Rebuilt a
> > server with CentOS EL5, upgraded to 5.2  Users are running FF3, Adobe
> > Acrobat Reader, and StarOffice.  Things work well until reach around
> > 28 users. Then, it just crawls and the load  average shoots up to 20+
> > (this is a 4 processor box with 15Krpm SCSI drives in a RAID 1, home
> > directories are on a dedicated file server).  It was running FC6 with
> > 40+ users without issues last year, but I decided to move to CentOS.
> > I have no idea why the system would suddenly become so unresponsive.
> > I want to 'guess' that it is FF related, especially based on the
> > google searches concerning FF3 and performance.  Also, FF is using is
> > using 50%+ of the cpu per user.   I have to admit that I am rather
> > upset at the moment with FF3, and when I tried the simple approach to
> > untarring a build of FF2, I get all sort of errors related to
> > libraries.
> >
> > Anyhow, sorry for the rant, but this is happening with the teachers
> > just logging in. Students show up next week.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Dave Hopkins

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering