[K12OSN] Fans - quiet vs. failure?

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Mon Aug 25 13:12:14 UTC 2008

I only have about half a year experience w/ fanless clients, but I don't
see how they could overheat.  I'm currently using an LTSP Term 1000 and
some SYM1112 units and they only use about 6 watts of power.  It seems
to me that they just don't make enough heat for ventilation to ever be a
problem.

-Rob

Chuck Kollars wrote:
> Does anybody have a couple years experience with fanless clients?
>
> There's a clear advantage in the much lower noise level.
>
> But I suspect the other side of the tradeoff is a very high cost in increased failure rate.
>
> I'm old enough to remember when demotivated users caused hardware failures simply by putting a piece of paper over vent holes - I suspect students would accidentally cover vent holes frequently. The last time I stacked up a bunch of Ethernet hubs, all but the bottom one failed within three weeks. And shortly after I rotated a DSL modem so the vent holes were on the sides instead of top and bottom, it failed.
>
> Am I just worrying about something that's no longer a problem, or are high failure rates and susceptibility to misuse still big issues?
>
> -Chuck Kollars

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.