Re: [K12OSN] CUPS stopping after printing one job

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
Ronnie Miller wrote:
I'm having an issue with cups printing in my k12ltsp labs. Both are
running Centos 5 with all updates applied. My problem is that when a class
is printing to the lab printer, the first job or two prints and the rest
never get printed. It's as if the print service hangs up on the second or
third job.

Usually, I have to clear previous jobs using http://localhost:631 and the
CUPS admin screens to get the printer working for them to print in the
first place. Both are set up as IP printers. Is there something simple I'm
missing?

Any help is always appreciated.

My Dad ran into a similar issue just today. Here's how I fixed it for him.

I did an "lpq -P MyCaseSensitivePrinterName" at a terminal window. I saw a bunch of jobs, preceded by this message:

  printer is not ready

If you see that, then take a look at the /etc/cups/printers.conf and look for the following:

   State Stopped
   StateMessage /usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd failed

What you do to fix this is as follows.

Edit /etc/cups/printers.conf, delete both of those lines, and replace them with this:

   State idle

and restart the CUPS daemon (as root) with "/sbin/service cups restart". That ought to get your jobs printing again.

But this could happen again and again, you say! Will I have to do this every time?? The answer is no, you won't. What's happening here is that, for whatever reason, CUPS is timing out in talking to the printer and thus administratively downs the printer. What it *should* do, ideally, is simply try again (maybe the printer cable got kicked, or it was powered off, or whatever). And we can, indeed, make that happen!

Again, in /etc/cups/printers.conf, replace the following line

   ErrorPolicy stop-printer

with this

   ErrorPolicy retry-job

and things should be just peachy from here out. Remember to restart the CUPS daemon after this change as well so that it takes effect.

--TP

Slight edit: The line should be "State Idle" instead of "State idle" above. This may indeed be case sensitive. Hey, I'm a little tired. :-)

--TP