Re: [K12OSN] Sky high load average with FF and CentOS?

something is wrong with your server's setup.

we have 60-70 terminals - PIII 233GHz + 64MB RAM  almost simultaneously
lunch FF3 and we have a Squid proxy (for the entire school, not just for the linux terminals) on the ltsp server + some web applications (mediawiki, moodle, drupal) running on the server + Samba file shares for 150 Machines (at least).

it is an old fc6 + ltsp 4.2 on quad core 1.8GHz + 4GB RAM.

we point FF to use the server's proxy.

i have noticed, on some computer labs (in other schools), that firefox takes it's time
when it can not find a proxy (even when it is set to automatic detect proxy)
i filed a bug report about it. (a while ago, when it was in beta) and i remember it was fixed.

now,
we also use konqueror and opera because we are using KDE desktops and it is much faster to response when users click it.
(and opera is extremely fast surfing the web !)
unfortunately, we have severe issues with hebrew content web sites that are not
coded according to standards which forces us to use FF + grease-monky extension + many fixes we write on own to make these sites accessible.
(Opera supports grease monky code but Konqueror do not)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:58 AM, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 15:48 -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> "We can bump the number of threads on the proxy server so that it can
> handle more concurrent requests. We can set the Firefox proxy settings
> in the local config files so that Firefox doesn't need to hit the web
> server when they start. And we can install local DNS caches on each
> machine so that the DNS server load is lightened a bit."
>
> Maybe this will help someone else here?
>
> c u

It also helps if the server can launch an instance of FF when it starts
up. Set up a vncserver account and have that account autostart firefox
to a internal page. This will preload the binary and libs and make the
server feel much faster.

It is possible that the slowness is 30 simultaneous launches tha all see
they are solo-instances. FF supports shared libs and binary. But there
must be one fully running to work.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering