Re: [K12OSN] Tuning LTSP Performance

2008/8/29 Stephen Crampton <SteveSings gmail com>:
> I'm using the latest version of Edubuntu.
>
> I'm not sure how to check the CPU or network load.  Could someone tell me
> the most efficient way?

IMHO, gkrellm is probably the simplest way. It displays moving graphs
of server metrics, including CPU usage and network bandwidth. If it's
not installed, I'm pretty sure it's readily available for your distro.

/sbin/lspci will tell you what hardware is installed, so you can tell
us the make and model of the server's NIC. Meanwhile, my wild guess is
that it's a network issue - either the NIC, or the switch.  That's why
you want to "cat /proc/net/dev" after running Tuxtype and such - it
will tell you if packet errors or drops are significant contributors
to the problem.

Calvin