Re: [K12OSN] Tuning LTSP Performance

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr.
<microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:
Easy.  Say you're a "curious" kid.  :-)  Just insert your own switch (yes,
they're available on eBay) in between the server and its network drop.  On
your switch, mirror the port to your laptop (laptop HD's are pretty big
nowadays).  Boom, you've done it, and no, it ain't that hard to do.  I do
this sort of thing regularly at work as part of my network engineer duties
when troubleshooting certain problems.

Thanks Terrell I get it now. Still bringing in a laptop+switch and
connecting it all isn't likely to happen with a teacher in the room. I
still feel safe using direct X. And let me remind people that if
teachers use the server itself as a workstation this kind of sniffing
will NOT work. It could only work for other thin clients.

Well, that's my point. That LDM_DIRECTX setting is what I'd call "acceptable risk"...assuming that you've physically secured your server, which folks should always be doing anyway. You *are* doing that, right? :-)

--TP