[K12OSN] Tuning LTSP Performance

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Aug 30 21:16:43 UTC 2008

Rob Owens wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:41:42PM -0400, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
>
>> Robert Arkiletian wrote:

>>> Please enlighten me Terrell. I don't understand how having access to
>>> the server is a vulnerability in terms of sniffing packets. One must
>>> have root access to be able to use a program like tcpdump or wireshark
>>> to capture packets. So if they don't have root how can they sniff?
>>>

>> Easy.  Say you're a "curious" kid.  :-)  Just insert your own switch
>> (yes, they're available on eBay) in between the server and its network
>> drop.  On your switch, mirror the port to your laptop (laptop HD's are
>> pretty big nowadays).  Boom, you've done it, and no, it ain't that hard
>> to do.  I do this sort of thing regularly at work as part of my network
>> engineer duties when troubleshooting certain problems.
>>

> Or even easier (well, at least cheaper) is to throw a hub in between the server and the main switch.  A hub mirrors all ports -- at least that's how I understand it.  Anyway, I've tried it and it works.
>
> -Rob

Yep, that'll certainly do it, too.  The problem with that approach is
that it'd be much more noticeable from a performance standpoint.
Collisions will slow down LTSP to a crawl, and further, you'll slow the
server's NIC down to 100Mbps (Gig-E switches don't exist--fortunately).
Therefore, naturally, someone'll investigate sooner than if you used a
managed 10/100/1000 switch to do the same thing.

--TP