Re: [K12OSN] Tuning LTSP Performance

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 06:16 -0400, Stephen Crampton wrote:
> I'm trying to get a thin-client lab up and running.
>
> Currently, I have a dual-processor AMD CPU with 4 GB of RAM as my
> server.  The server has a 1 GB Ethernet card.
>
> The server is connected to a 1 GB 8-port Ethernet switch.
>
> I have 7 clients attached.  They have Intel motherboards and are about
> 1 year old.  They have 512 MB of memory.  They have 100 Mbps Ethernet
> cards.
>
> Performance is sluggish, which surprises me.  When my students are
> running something very lightweight such as kbruch, the machines run
> fine, however, if one of them opens up TuxMath or TuxTyping or some
> other applications, everything slows way down.

Both of these apps are _VERY_ data throughput intensive. They send lots
of pixel data across the network. There are some tricks you can do.
1. Make sure the server is connected to a Gb port on the switch
(multiple ports is better using bonding). An 800x600 tuxmath uses
460,800,000 bits per second just for screen drawing at 60Hz refresh and
only 16 bit color (that's 56.25 MB/s!). I love tuxmath for it's teaching
ability, the fun math practice time and the kids love it. But it is a
hog.

> I noticed that there are parameters that can be tuned in lts.conf.  I
> reduced the screen resolution to 800x600 and the color depth to 8
> bits.  Does anyone have any suggestions for other parameters that
> might make my system a little more responsive?
>
> Also, I've been reading wiki pages and mailing list entries regarding
> fattening thin clients.  There seem to be two ways of doing it:  (1)
> building a new ltsp system "fati386" or (2) writing scripts that
> execute particular programs on the client and direct the display to
> the client's Xwindows server.
Tuxmath and tuxtype are prime candidates for local-app status. That
solves the network load issues nicely. Firefox and streaming multimedia
are local-app candidates for memory hogging and cpu hogging reasons.