[K12OSN] Clients No Longer Boot

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri Dec 5 19:08:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Patrick Fleming wrote:

> Are you sure that TFTPD is running? Has anything else changed on the
> network like a new DHCP machine? Have you tried running tcpdump on the
> server to see what network traffic there is?
>
> Jason Waskiewicz wrote:
> > I have been successfully running an LTSP server. It's Fedora 9 with LTSP 5.
> >
> > Last night, I installed a program called WebWork: an open source program
> > that allows me to deploy math homework online. At that time, I saw no
> > trouble.
> >
> > Today, my clients will not boot. The clients "see" the server. IP
> > addresses are exchanged, there is a DHCP address and a TFTP address.
> > Then the computer starts to display the screen of dots....very, very,
> > very slowly. I've been watching my latest attempt for about 10 minutes
> > and I'm up to 5 dots.
> >
> > I have a working LTSP set up on a flash drive. I tried comparing the
> > different files. What I checked was the same.
> >
> > Could someone please help me? My Calculus and Physics students are
> > particularly depending on this working and I really don't want to do a
> > clean install of the whole operating system.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Jason Waskiewicz

I've run into this behavior a couple times after updates / upgrades. One
time i went to older version of tftp and /tftpdir/lts to fix it. The other
time the problem was with messed up /etc/hosts file and system inability
to resolve the workstation names. Fixing /etc/hosts took care of the
problem.
yet another option is to create boot files for every terminal - notice
that the search for boot file starts with a name based on full mac
address.
Good luck, julius