[K12OSN] PowerPC iMacs as LTSP thin clients

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Dec 17 05:52:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> R. Scott Belford wrote:
>>
>> Great work, Warren.  I know the EL release supported the PPC
>> architecture, so you may find a good foundation there.
>>
>>  What about flash and java?  Do you anticipate issues?
>
> You misunderstand.  The client only does X, pulseaudio for remote sound and
> ltspfs for remote storage.  Plugins run on the server across the network,
> where you would have your modern beefy x86_64 server.

Thanks, but actually I understand quite well.  I take it that you then
don't anticipate problems either with the 64-bit implementation of
java or flash.  Other than conceiving of this as a good and practical
idea, have you had experience doing this with actual PPC clients on an
x86_64 server?

> EL5 ppc is well supported, but far fewer people use it as a desktop thus it
> is not likely to be a better platform for PPC clients.  Fedora's kernel
> and/or yaboot needs fixes for netboot apparently.

You might want to look at the EL5-based K12LTSP distribution since it
embodies a lot of the work required to boot PPC clients from the quite
capable and proven K12LTSPel5.

> Warren

--scott