[K12OSN] Looking for wisdom of the masses

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:46:19 UTC 2008

Doug Simpson wrote:
> Just let them use vncviewer and connect that way. . . Works for me. . .
>
> They'll have to come in through the public IP unless they are inside. . .
>
> Doug

VNC passes session traffic "in the clear" (without encryption). While you
can tunnel VNC in SSH, it is clumsy to set up and not very efficient.

NX/freenx uses SSH for transport (strong encryption) and is uses bandwidth
more efficiently as well, using aggressive compresstion and caching to make
the sesstion more responsive.

Opening (port forwarding) the SSH service to the Internet can be a security
problem. If possible I would restrict which users can use SSH and make sure
those users have "good" passwords; not vulnerable to dictionary attacks.
Also make sure that SSH is up-to-date and keep it that way, plus turn off
VNC version 1 capability.