[K12OSN] New SmartBoard and Edubuntu...I'm truly impressed!

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Feb 8 02:38:50 UTC 2008

Recently I was able to purchase an interactive whiteboard called a
“SmartBoard” for our school.  I have several more in the budget for next
year, but this one gives us an opportunity to learn more about how to use
one.  I was excited to find out when I ordered it that it would be
compatible with Linux, but I had my doubts.  Often times manufacturers
make claims to be compatible with Linux, but generally with a loss of
features or a very difficult installation.  I was a little nervous when I
stuck in the CD to the drive on my Edubuntu desktop
.and I couldn’t get
the installer to execute.  So
I went to the web site and downloaded the
installer from there.  The installer was a breeze to work with!  It’s an
autopackage that simply asked me a couple yes or no questions
and then
VOILA!  That was it!  Suddenly the SmartBoard software launched and we
were in business!  The total install time took less than 2 minutes!  Guess
what else?  Everything works!  Every feature from the notebook software to
the screen captures and more!  I’m truly impressed!  The folks at
Smarttech have really taken a look at the future of Linux and FOSS in
Education.  Today was simply my first day
all I got a chance to do was put
it together, load the software and play around a little.  I’m finding
myself a bit excited to get to school tomorrow so I can really try things
out.  Just in the few chances I got to try it out today, I can really see
how it will totally change the way I teach!  I’m psyched!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org