[K12OSN] bin files change on reboot

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Feb 17 17:11:09 UTC 2008

Hello List,

This is kind of a weird scenario. On an FC5 K12ltsp server I set up at
some peoples house over a year ago. I know this server has been hacked
into some time back as I can see by the rkhunter logs for some time. I
view it from time to time remotely via Webmin. What happens on this server
is each time it gets rebooted ( which is not very often) other than over
this weekend due to ice storm/power outage here), there are a few bin
files that end up being the wrong date/and the wrong file sizes. Most
everything still works OK other than lots of behind the scenes things,
such as if I simply do a 'uname -a ' I get segmentation fault and if i try
to use the zip program i get errors. I took and copyed from a good FC5
server the bin files and placed onto this particular server,so when this
happens I explained to them how to copy paste the good bin/files into the
/bin folder each time they end up having to reboot this server. Once the
correct bin files are copyed into the bin folder then there are no more
segmentation faults and the zip program functions correctly,etc.I still
have not figured out "were" these files come from each time this server is
rebooted? This server runs rock solid and they really don't need to update
to anything newer as they just use it to web browse and email thing.
BTW; i did delete a couple diretories that had been added with some sort
of system scanner files to ftp out to a remote server some time back
,thinking this may have been the resolve for this. No Joy:(.
Anyone have any ideas were to look?

Thanks,

Barry Cisna