[K12OSN] interoperability question

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Wed Jan 2 16:01:36 UTC 2008

Bob H. wrote:

> First a little background is in order to clarify what I'd like to do
> here. I have an existing Windows 2003 AD domain, approx 400
> workstations, users set up with home directories that are assigned
> through active directory instead of a login script. I have been
> given the go-ahead to prototype a K12 LTSP setup for use in our
> library. I downloaded and installed Version 6.

You realize that K12LTSP 6 is based on Fedora Core 6 and that Fedora
Core 6 is no longer supported by the Fedora Project? This means no
security fixes will be released for this distribution. If you're
looking for a long-term solution I advise you to try out K12LTSP 5EL
instead, which is based on CentOS 5, which in turn is a rebuild of
RHEL 5. RHEL/CentOS 5 was released last year and gets 7 years of
security updates.

> So far everything is going as planned; authentication of users is
> done through active directory, so I have a single sign on for users
> on either system, which is great. What I would like to accomplish,
> if possible, is to have the users home directory on the windows
> server mounted as their home directory when they log in on the K12
> LTSP system in the library. That way anything that they save while
> on K12 LTSP would be accessible to them when they login elsewhere in
> the building on a Win XP machine. Can this be done, and if so, how?
> If there is a how-to out there that I missed by all means throw it
> my way...any and all comments are appreciated.

I can't help you with this, but I'm sure there are people on this list
who can. Have you checked the K12LTSP and LTSP wiki's?

Nils Breunese.