[K12OSN] OT: Break-In report

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jan 2 16:42:39 UTC 2008

Seconded regarding denyhosts; it is very nice.  In addition, I also
allow SSH connections only from certain subnets--yes, even on the
trusted network.  Kids are quite inventive, you know.  Just throw up a
couple of iptables lines like this:

# Permit only 192.168.1.0/24 to SSH to us
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --source 192.168.1.0/24
--destination-port 22 -j ACCEPT
# Deny everything else on TCP 22
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --destination-port 22 -j DROP

And you can add any other self-protection rules that you like.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!