[K12OSN] OT - Disk Imaging/Cloning

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Jan 9 18:31:06 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
>> Not too long ago someone posted a link to a disk imaging/cloning app
>> that they just developed and released under GPL.  They asked if folks on
>> this list would try and send feedback.  I remember trying it and liking
>> it, however, now that I have some serious time to test and deploy, I
>> can't seem to find the information.  Can anyone help refresh my memory?
>>

> I'm not sure which one you mean but I've used and liked this:
> http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/clonezilla-live/ for a small number of
> copies or making DVD's that will boot and install the image.  The main
> project http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/ might be better for mass
> network-boot cloning.

Actually, to use clonezilla to manage mass network-boot cloning, you
need to install DRBL

http://drbl.sourceforge.net/

Clonezilla can be run from the debian Live CD, or it can launched via
DRBL.  If you use the live CD, then you can image one workstation at a
time, including Windows, and you can re-assign hostnames and ssid.  If
you use DRBL, then you pxe/etherboot your clients from the server to
launch clonezilla.

DRBL does more.  You can boot thick clients from the server, and they
will use their own RAM and CPU while loading the OS from the DRBL
server.  You can boot your clients into freedos.  You can boot your
clients into memtest.  You can boot your clients to a net-install of
pretty much any Linux Distro out there.  You can boot your clients to
their hard drive.  You can boot the clients to Clonezilla and image as
many as you want.

If you manage a large network of computers, you may find DRBL to be the
greatest tool you have ever met.

--scott