[K12OSN] Morley's Great K12LTSP labs - update

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Jan 26 23:55:04 UTC 2008

Peter Scheie wrote:
> Terrel-
> What vesion of Flash are you running on 5.0EL?  I haven't wrestled
> with it for a while, but as I recall, Flash 9 was installed, but I
> could not get sound to work with it, even using the Pulse Audio trick
> from Revolution Linux.

Flash 9.  However, I got it from RPMForge's repositories, not
K12LTSP's.  Works on both stock CentOS 5.1 (my Dad's new box) and
K12LTSP 5.0EL.  I did both while I was in Vegas (I just got back
Thursday night).

When Gnash finally works with YouTube, I will exorcise Adobe's Flash
forever.

> Agreed, proprietary formats are bad.  How many people recall email 20
> years ago, where business cards had three or four email addresses on
> them, for Sprint, CompuServe, et al, because none of the systems
> talked to each other?  Nowadays no one would even consider a closed
> email system.  Audio and video need to be likewise.

Yep, I remember those "bad old days," and I agree with you totally.  But
see, we really need to vote with our dollars *and* vote only for those
who actively support truly open standards to actually effect that change.

--TP