[K12OSN] Anyone quantified savings using LTSP?

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Mon Jan 28 19:47:00 UTC 2008

I'm currently doing a pilot setup of 3 thin clients in a machine shop.
There are currently no computers near the machines.  The intention is to
provide electronic (read-only) access to drawings at the machines and to
enable machinists to record information in a spreadsheet (stuff like
cycle times, reject rates, etc.)

Here are the costs using my existing Linux terminal server:

$150 - 17" widescreen monitor
$240 - SYM1110 thin client
$10  - roll-up spill-proof keyboard
$15  - optical scroll-wheel mouse

If we were to insist on using Microsoft Office, the additional cost
would be:

$75  - user license for our existing Windows terminal server
$260 - MS Office 2003

Due to the space constraints, traditional desktop computers are probably
not an option for us, but I configured one quickly on dell.com and it
costs $578 (including 17" widescreen and XP Pro).  Adding MS Office 2003
(bought from Amazon.com) brings the total to $838.

The real alternative for us was putting laptops at each machine.  This
ironically turned out to be cheaper--it's on sale for $528.  That's with
a 15" widescreen and XP Pro.  Adding MS Office 2003 brings it to $788.
Of course a damaged laptop is more likely to get completely replaced
that repaired, so you're likely to spend more in the near future.

Thin client with Linux: $415
Thin client with MS:    $750
Desktop with MS:	$838
Laptop with MS:		$788

-Rob

Bill Moseley wrote:
> I've seen a few use-cases where some claims are made on cost savings
> using LTSP.  I'm curious if anyone here has looked at this recently at
> their own schools.
>
> I was looking at thin clients the other day, and although I'm not sure
> the very inexpensive $85 Norhtec clients have enough power, it's
> looking like $150-$200 clients are possible.
>
> Our school is considering one option of using the Mac Mini for the
> student workstations.  So potentially, that's $400+ savings up front
> per seat if using something like a $200 thin client.  Actually, that
> might be an underestimate considering that the thin client hardware
> would probably have a longer duty cycle than stand-alone workstation.
>
> Of course, it's not that hard to come up with donated PCs, so that's a
> bigger savings.
>
> Software purchase, upgrades, and licensing seem like another
> significant per-seat expense.  I assume most schools migrated from
> Windows, but the licensing requirements might be similar to Apple.
> Anyone have any numbers in this area?
>
> Energy savings might be a consideration, too.  Some of the thin
> clients have very low power consumption.  Swapping out 100 PCs with
> 300 watt power supplies to 100 thin clients that consume 10 watts
> might not be a huge difference in cost but not insignificant.
>
> Finally, it's hard not to imagine the management of 100 thin clients
> is significantly less than 100 workstation.  Still, I doubt that often
> results in any savings.  Rather just a change in admin tasks.  Have
> you realized any quantifiable differences in management costs?
>
> Anything else?

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.