[K12OSN] Need help integrating LTSP Server into school network

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Jan 29 14:58:05 UTC 2008

Devry Lin wrote:
> I am, a high schooler, completely new to K12LTSP and haven't learned
> much linux, and I am trying to get LTSP 6.0.0. to work in my school
> for my IT project...

Good that you're taking the plunge.  You will be better off for it, and
you're wiser than many.  However, in a production deployment, I'd use
K12LTSP 5.0EL instead of 6.0.0 because 6.0.0 no longer is supported for
bugfixes.

> I've gotten the LTSP to work by following the installation guide, but
> it has trouble getting on the Internet. I am not directly connecting
> to the Internet, instead I have to connect through my school's network
> that has a DHCP server and DNS Service (the rest of the school network
> runs windows machines).
>
> The IT Technician told me that I would need to buy a DSL connection so
> that the LTSP server is separate from the school's local network to
> prevent collisions in the services (presumably the DHCP and DNS).

I understand why he told you that.  He's afraid--as I am in my
schools--that some yahoo will bring in a "rogue" DHCP server, install it
on the network, and hose connectivity for half or even all of the
school.  Unlike you, far, far too many people don't pay attention to
what they're doing.  Your IT tech's simply playing safe by telling you
what he told you.  Having had to go find such rogue DHCP servers on my
own networks, I can tell you that it's not fun tracking those down.
Matter of fact, it's a royal PITA.

To prevent justifying his fear, just make sure that you hook up eth0 and
eth1 *CORRECTLY!*

> Is there anything that can be done about this problem without
> resorting to buying another internet connection? Also, what should I
> check before I plug the LTSP server into the network to prevent
> anything catastrophic from happening (like disabling the school network)?

Yep.  Just make sure that eth1 is hooked up to the school network...and
NOT eth0.  Eth0 goes to the thin client segment *ONLY*, because that's
where DHCP is served.  Please do not get that backwards.  Physically
label your LTSP server's Ethernet ports if you have to.

--TP