[K12OSN] home directory permissions

Fri Jul 11 02:48:36 UTC 2008

> crontab -e
>
> Now PgDn to the bottom of the file and hit "A" (capital letter A for
> Append) and hit the enter to start a new line
>
> now type in:
>
> * 7,11 * * * chmod 700 /home/*
>
> then hit <Esc> then :wq

Let me recommend:

G                               <-- take me to the end of the file
o                               <-- open a new line below and edit it
* 7,11 * * * chmod 700 /home/*  <-- type your new line
ZZ                              <-- safe save and quit

ZZ only saves if there are changes, so it doesn't update the time-stamp if you didn't
make a change.

If you're using Ubuntu, and these keys aren't working, don't panic.  It's just that
Ubuntu uses nano as it's default editor rather than vi.  Good thing, because the default
vi personality in Ubuntu seems to be retarded.