[K12OSN] Re: Client login problems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 14 20:26:41 UTC 2008

Can you clarify some stuff please?:

Can any non-root user login at the console using the X login?
Can any non-root user login from a ssh connection?
Can root login using X/gdm at the console?
Can root login using an ssh connection?
Please post the output of df -h
Please post the contents of /etc/fstab (scrub out passwords if there are
samba mounts please)

What user authentication method is used? (local password files, NIS,
LDAP, Windows active directory, no logins only kiosk/userless mode).

Please post the output of uname -a
Please post the contents of /etc/issue

If the user authentication method is not local password file, please
verify the network connection to the remote server is valid. Also verify
that the iptables rules have not been adjusted to block the reply from
the remote server.

Can you post a bit of the /var/log/message file. Ideally, append a
marker (echo "###marker###" >> /var/log/messages), the try a client
login, then post up the messages from the marker to the end, please.

Are there errors appearing in the /var/log/security file?

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 01:27 +0545, Dhruba Adhikari wrote:
> Dear James P. Kinney,
> Thank you for your reply. I had previously checked the disk size, its
> only 35% full, and we have around 13 GB or hard disk space still
> left.
>
> As you have mentioned there could be lots of cases, please specify
> some other so that we could troubleshoot the problem.
>
> Thank you
> Dhruba Adhikari
>
> --
> ---
> www.meronepalma.com
> ---
>
> (^ ^) Genius is one percent inspiration and
> || ninety-nine percent perspiration.
> ( ---- ) -- acpmasquerade ---
> --
> believed to be clean.