[K12OSN] New K12LTSP installation

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Thu Jun 19 11:59:08 UTC 2008

jeff williams wrote:
> Greetings...
>
> I've been monitoring the e-mail list for about 4 months and have a couple of
> questions.
>
> 1.  Is the latest / greatest K12LTSP 6.0.0 as seems to be indicated on the
> download page of the K12LTSP Wiki?

You should use 5.0EL, because it has something like 5 years of security
updates left.

> 2.  Is there really an advantage in speed going with 64 bit rather than 32 bit
> for the server?  I ask because I can test 32 bit locally, and don't have 64
> bit available.  BTW, the lab will be 20 seats in a K-8 environment.  I'm
> planning on running a lightweight window manager rather than KDE or Gnome.
>
> 3.  The lab will need to also speak to a Windows server for legacy student
> files, thus I am looking at Samba and smbmount.  Any problems in sharing data
> this way?
>
> 4.  Is there a good writeup on load sharing between two K12LTSP servers if we
> decide to go a bit fancy?

I haven't tried it, but here's what I would try if I had time:
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/DHCP_Failover-Load_Balancing

> 5.  I'm going to be purchasing new small form factor diskless workstations for
> the lab.  Are there any noted problems with either the Devon IT 6020 series
> or the eBox-2300 and K12LTSP 6.0.0?  (It looks like the Diskless Workstations
> LTSP Term 1000 is a rebranded eBox-2300.  Is this correct?)

The ebox 2300 is adequate for office stuff, but I've found it to be a
little bit too slow for my needs.  Screen updates are a little jumpy
(for instance, when dragging the scrollbar on a long spreadsheet).  I've
never tested games on it, but I imagine they would not test well.  By
the way, I'm running K12LTSP 5.0EL

> 6.  Are there any other words of wisdom you would like to supply?

You could also try the latest Ubuntu which has LTSP 5 in its
repositories.  It's pretty easy to set up, but not quite as dead-simple
as K12LTSP.  You should at least look into the differences between LTSP
4.2 (included in K12LTSP) and LTSP 5.

> BTW, I have been playing with LTSP/K12LTSP off and on for about 5 years, but
> have not done a full, not-recovered-from-the-dumpster installation before.
> My test server is a PIII/450 which was given to me.
>
> I am very, very impressed with the ease of making K12LTSP work, and am looking
> forward to getting this lab in to production.
>
> Many thanks.

Good luck, not that you really need it!

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.