[K12OSN] OT: Sluggish file server

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:16:00 UTC 2008

>  Is this an Centos5
> K12LTSP5 server BTW?

I am using teh CentOS5 distro, but not the CentOS K12LTSP distro.

> I don't know if it is possible if you have some
> weird whitespaces on your fstab or mtab .conf file if this would cause
> this? I don't think so but who knows? Did this server run Ok for several
> weeks and this just started going wonky on you?

This behavior just started. The server has been running flawlessly
since early August.  I haven't applied any updates to the system
unless they were to fix a critical security issue.  I try to 'freeze'
system configurations at the start of the school year to minimize
issues.

> What do you see when you
> run top? Is nfsd showing lots of different processes?

Top shows kjournald and also several nfsd processes.  Both times it
has happened have been on Monday morning.  I am wondering if it might
not be somehow related to the full backups that run Sunday night.  The
backups show that they have completed by the time school starts.  I'll
try setting the full backups to run Saturdays instead.  The only other
thing that comes to mind is that samba profiles are kept on this
system but I don't see how that would just now be showing up.

> Let us know your progress,,,findings.

Absolutely.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins