[K12OSN] Multiple LTSP Servers to Share the Load?

Stephen Crampton SteveSings at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 01:17:10 UTC 2008

How difficult would it be to set up multiple servers on the same LTSP
network using K12LTSP?

I want students to be able to do 3D editing with Blender and would like to
be able to share the processing load over two servers.

I also would like one server to handle the entire lab in case the other
crashes.  Ideally, the takeover would be automatic.

If the server not containing /home goes down, I imagine half the clients
might find themselves logged out, but would be able to log in again.

If the server containing /home goes down, the situation would be more
complicated.  In that case, everyone would probably be logged out and a
temporary /home mounted until the crashed server could be brought up again.

BTW, as it stands now, I have only one server.  However, I do have two disk
drives on the server.  I put /home and /var on one drive and everything else
on the other drive.  (I put /var with /home because all the users have a
public_html symlink that goes to /var/www/html/students/username.

Any ideas?