[K12OSN] Editing GUI Menus for Clients

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sat Oct 11 18:53:40 UTC 2008

Rob Owens wrote:

> I think if you use IceWM instead of Gnome, you can do all the menus
> in /etc/skel.  XFCE might also put the menus in simple config files.

Gnome uses GConf. You can all sorts of things like locking settings
for all users or changing defaults using GConf, but it's a bit less
intuitive then some plain text files at times. We used it to change
the default mail client to Thunderbird for all our users for instance.
You should be able to use Sabayon to create default desktops set to
your liking, but I have never been able to get that to work myself
(and didn't have a real need, so I didn't spend too much time on it).

Nils Breunese.