[K12OSN] Wish my Centos5 server was a Mac

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 22:22:47 UTC 2008

Alan Hodson wrote:
> Howdy list
>
> Wishing a perfectly good Centos5 server was a Mac server applies only to
> the ease of re-setting the root/admin password with the boot disk. The
> mounting /etc/shadow and blanking out the password content (between ::
> ::) does not seem to work for the machine I have. Tried Knoppix and
> PCLinux Live CDs to no avail...
>
> Does anybody have a solution to change root password via a passwd
> reinstall or reactivation or some such measure?

1st choice:
Hit a key to bring up the grub boot menu. Highlight the entry you want
to boot, hit 'e', move to the kernel line, hit 'e'.  Add ' single' to
the end of the line, then hit 'b' to boot.  You'll get a root shell
prompt where you can run the passwd command.  Type 'exit' to quit and
reboot.

2nd choice - good for more complicated damage:
Boot the install CD with 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt.  Let it
mount the installed system.  Type the chroot command that it will
suggest.  Do whatever maintenance you need to fix the system.  Type
'exit' twice when done (once to exit the chroot shell, once for the top
level).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com