[K12OSN] Sound : my nemesis

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Oct 14 01:51:57 UTC 2008

Pulse is a replacement for esound so you can't have both installed at
the same time (thus the conflict). Remember that the newer flash plugin
only uses pulse.

It still needs the ports open on the server (and client) to allow the
networked sound to be distributed. Also, KDE sound must be tweaked to
make it work using the control panel. Once that works, it will need to
be distributed to the users.

What happens if a thin client is booted from a Knoppix disk? Does sound
work then?

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 12:47 -0400, David Hopkins wrote:

> > 1.here are a couple more suggestions to narrow things down. On the
> > server do an :
> >
> > locate esound
> >
> > do you see these entries> ppc not really relevant here;
> >
> > /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh
> > /opt/ltsp/i386/lib/pkgconfig/esound.pc
> > /opt/ltsp/ppc/lib/pkgconfig/esound.pc
>
> Yep, these are installed.
>
> > 2. on the thin client ,drop to a bash prompt and:
> > lsmod
> > do you see any sound card entries listed? if you DO see sound card
> > modules listed
>
> yes, the correct sound card entries are listed. Same as on the CentOS5
> (32bit) systems which are working.
>
> Normally, I do a quick test with esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav
> This seems to always work regardless of whether mplayer/flash/etc
> aren't working.
>
> > 4. while at a bash prompt on the thin client do an:
> > lspci
> > and post what is being detected as the sound card for this client.
>
> These are Via Epia systems and the AC97 audio controller is recognized.
>
> > as far as manually removing the esd packages with --nodeps switch you
> > will not kill anything providing you do reinstall once again the same
> > three packages.
>
> I forced the removal of the esound rpm and then installed the
> pulseaudio-esound-compat rpm.  Of course, it didn't work, so I forced
> the installation of the esound module (since it reports a
> compatibility issue as well with pulse.)  Seems that the pulse module
> replaces /usr/bin/esd with a a link to /usr/bin/esdcompat.
>
> So, at this point, I have all the rpm's for esound installed and also
> all the rpm's for pulse.  Neither works.  I still get that original
> error about LD_PRELOAD not being able to locate the libesd.so.0
> library even though it exists (in both 32 and 64 bit versions)
>
> > BTW: do you ever get sound on the actual server. this should not make a
> > bit of difference ,though in regard to client sound?,Just curious. What
> > kind of sound cards are in the clients you are testing?
>
> Never get sound on the server. Don't have a sound card in the server.
> The client I am testing with at the moment is my Via Epia Eden with
> the AC97.  I also have Dell GX150's that also work and can test with
> them next.
>
> Rebooting the thin client, and it reports that it is accepting
> connections on 16001. However, if I try to telnet to the thin client
> on 16001, I get a connection refused.
>
> Will have to keep playing with it.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave Hopkins