[K12OSN] New Lab Install

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 19:04:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 11:15 AM, John Montoya <jomontoya at kern.org> wrote:
> Rob-
>
> I have a call in to the local tech support for specific information on their MS servers.

if it's MS AD servers then you might also look at this
http://www.likewisesoftware.com/products/likewise_open/
I haven't tried it but others have.

> "We" are the local superintendent's office... (the Novell / SUSE house).... the middle school called us
> in for help on this project (the MS servers).
>
> ...and thank you for the OpenOffice 'watch-out'... I actually already went through this painful
> experience with the first run. They would complain that "linux" was junk... look at what it does to
> documents (formatting). So... when I setup this recent OpenOffice install, did a quick in-house for the
> teachers... Explained the whole "font" world thing.... listed the generic fonts, and to teach the document
> creation process of, generic fonts - flat paragraphs with no styling - UNTIL the last step before printing.
> Get fancy, style, and anything else you want to add, on the last machine you use, AND print from.
>
> I will post the server specs as soon as I get a reply back.
>
> I just finished loading up 5-EL on a test server, going to work on getting thin clients connected and
> FL-teachertool configured (another big deal) and tested. Want to do as much testing and documentation

if you have any problems installing fl-tt please ask for help on this
list.  version 0.62 install instructions are here
http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/installation.html