[K12OSN] OT: Backuppc config issue

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Mon Sep 1 21:46:13 UTC 2008

David Hopkins wrote:

> I installed Backuppc and am trying to simply verify that it will work
> by running a backup against the backup server itself.  I created ssh
> keys (for both root and the backuppc account) and can ssh into the
> server without issues or prompts (e.g. ssh ncsfs2)
>
> Apache is running as backuppc (per the backuppc website since the only
> use for apache on this system is to run the Backuppc cgi access).
>
> When I request a backup, I get the following (and this is slightly
> different than the default which includes the --sender --server flags
> but with those flags the command will not even run at all)
>
> Error message in Xfer.log
>
> full backup started for directory /home
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root ncsfs2 /usr/bin/rsync
> --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
> --block-size=2048 --recursive --checksum-seed=32761 --ignore-times .
> /home/
> Xfer PIDs are now 30065
> Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
> Tried again: got 0 bytes
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
>
> I have added backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/rsync via visudo.
>
> I can run the command from a shell as root but the effect is to back
> up root's home ('.' in the above) to /home/ which is not what is
> desired at all.  I guess I must be very close to getting it working
> but what is missing now has me baffled.

Sounds like a question for the backuppc-users mailinglist. I happen to
be on there and this is a fairly frequently asked question. First of
all, try running that command as the backuppc user instead of root,
since that's what BackupPC does. You need to OK the SSH fingerprint
the first time you login via SSH and BackupPC can't do that for you.
Make sure you login once yourself and OK the fingerprint. Afterwards
BackupPC should be able to login automatically. If not you could have
another problem, but I suggest taking this issue to the backuppc-users
mailinglist (after checking the archives first of course).

Nils Breunese.