[K12OSN] Flash and nspluginwrapper

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 21:16:32 UTC 2008

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Fedora 8+ and RHEL5+ use nspluginwrapper by default even on i386.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> Because nspluginwrapper runs the plugins in a separate process, so plugin
>> crashes do not take Firefox down with it.
>>

> Is there a way to automatically set the nice value of these
> nspluginwrapper processes to 19. Opera does this by default and it
> really makes a big difference to keep the server responsive even when
> many users are viewing flash videos.
>
> I have discovered that with flash 9 version 115 and 124 Adobe seems to
> have made the player more threaded. So it more effectively utilizes
> all cpu cores. In our situation this is not a good thing. I found
> flash 9 version 48 to be better behaved and less of a cpu hog. The
> only problem is the security updates that version lacks.

/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npviewer
This shell scripts launches npviewer.bin which runs the plugins in a
separate process.  You could run things before npviewer.bin like taskset
-c with a random CPU number.

CPU=$[$RANDOM % `getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN`]
exec taskset -c $CPU $LOADER $NPW_VIEWER_DIR/npviewer.bin ${1+"$@"}

Something like this.

I am thinking about adding a /etc/sysconfig file for this sort of thing.
  It is needed for other special purposes sometimes.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com