[K12OSN] OT: Openldap and too many open files

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 14:07:07 UTC 2008

My ldap server is now failing with the

slapd[17057]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.deny: Too many open files

message.   I have 100+ teachers and an additional 150+ students
connecting at any given time.  I run nscd on all my systems since this
is a suggested solution for reducing the load and consequently the
open files on the ldap server(s).

I can restart ldap and it will run for a bit before issuing this
warning at which point all authentication stops.  I've googled for
solutions and most suggest using ulimit in the ldap script to set the
file limit higher.  I have done so but it doesn't seem to make the
change. Other responses on this suggest that I may have to recompile
openldap and possibly nss related items as well to get around the
issue. That is a daunting issue.

I have also seen a suggestion to set the idletimeout in slapd.conf but
I am not sure that this wouldn't adversely affect anything since it
closes connections.

Has anyone else seen this issue and implemented a solution?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Has anyone else seen this issue and found a good solution to it?