[K12OSN] bootup slow -- nfs server not responding

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Mon Sep 8 15:04:04 UTC 2008

I'm running K12LTSP 5.0EL 32-bit on a desktop-like machine with software
RAID 1 using SATA drives.  Processor is a dual-core AMD 5000+, NIC is
gigabit, and I just upgraded to 4GB RAM (from 2GB).  It's serving 11
GNOME sessions and 5 rdesktop sessions.  The server also runs MySQL and
Apache for some very lightly used web applications.

The reason I upgraded the RAM is because I've been getting slow boot
times on the thin clients, with the message "nfs server not responding"
showing up at least 10 times during the boot process.  The clients
eventually boot successfully.  The upgrade didn't seem to help, but hey,
it was cheap and easy to try.

iftop says I'm only using about 20Mb of bandwidth on the server's NIC.
top shows the CPU usage is usually below 5%, and rarely hits 40%.  So I
think my hardware is up to the task.  Are there any NFS tweaks I should
be employing to eliminate the "not responding" errors, thereby speeding
up my boot process?

By the way, I have very little other network activity so I don't think
my wires or my switch are saturated.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.