[K12OSN] Can;t login with gdm but ssh OK

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 08:21:26 UTC 2008

I've just setup my second thinclient box & I thought I'd done it exactly the same as the first but I
must have missed something. The box has a slave ldap server running on it so it's setup to
authenticate against this one to cut load on the main server.

I can ssh in as a student OK but when I try to login as the same student on one of the client it
doesn't work and /var/log/messages shows

gdm: cannot authenticate user

What have I missed :-)

Thanks
Brian Chivers