[K12OSN] A New direction for LTSP: Diskless Remote Boot

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Wed Sep 10 12:14:38 UTC 2008

I agree with most of your arguments in principle.  For me, DRBL could be
a potential alternative to LTSP.

However, the Atom-based unit you mention uses a 65 watt power supply (I
didn't see specs on the actual power consumption).  That's small
compared to a traditional desktop, but it's huge compared to the 6 watt
thin clients I'm using.

$150 (plus some money for RAM) doesn't seem like much to me to spend on
this Atom-based unit, but I live in a developed country and have a good
job.  In lots of other parts of the world, $150 is unaffordable.  Those
places need to be able to use a 200MHz P2 with 32MB of RAM as a thin
client.  Heck, back when I started using LTSP, I needed to use a P2 as a
thin client because I couldn't afford to buy something for my "little
experiment".

That brings me to another point.  LTSP is enticing and is easy to try
out because you can do it without spending any money -- you simply use
some old junk.  If it required a $200 or more investment just to try it
out, would we see the same level of adoption?  Granted, in the developed
world $200 isn't much, but I still think it could be a barrier to
adoption.  Plenty of people will "try out this linux thing" if it
doesn't cost anything, but how many people would buy a $150-$200
diskless workstation in order to "try out this linux thing".  That
diskless workstation won't even run Windows XP if their little linux
experiment fails, so that would be money wasted.  I think many people
won't take the chance, and that would be a shame.

So I guess I'm saying that DRBL-like capability would be a great
addition, but I would hate to see the main focus of LTSP turn away from
low-spec thin clients.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.