[K12OSN] RE: Lenovo Thin Client Problems

Crampton, Stephen C. cramptons at duvalschools.org
Thu Sep 11 15:58:58 UTC 2008

SERVER
[mrc at server ~]$ uname -a
Linux server.ltsp 2.6.20-1.2320.fc5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 12 18:50:49 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Some other types of clients boot, however, . . .

With the client specified below I get a kernel panic after
  Running /linuxrc
  Mounting /proc
  ERROR: Could not automatically detect the network card . . .

After changing default to read
  prompt 0
  label linux
   kernel vmlinuz.ltsp
   append root=/dev/ram0 rw initrd=initramfs.gz MOPTS=nolock,ro,wsize=2048,rsize=2048 NIC=tg3

I get the panic at about the same place, after

  insmod /lib/modules/2.6.17.3-ltsp-1/kernel/direcers/net/tg3.ko
  Running dhcpd on port 67

  ERROR! dhcpd failed!

CLIENT
Lenovo ThinkCentre M55e http://review.zdnet.com/desktops/lenovo-thinkcentre-m55e-9632/4507-3118_16-32330429.html?tag=ut

Tried adding NIC=tg3 to default per http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/KernelOptions

Also tried backporting the ltsp-kernel per http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2006-September/msg00216.html

Can anyone help?

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.