Re: [K12OSN] OT - Can't authenticate Ubuntu 8.04 to LDAP

Thanks for the tip Todd. I'll try that when I go in on Monday. Do you know any way to "wipe the LDAP login slate clean" on the client? I've edited a bunch of conf files. When I simply comment out the ldap lines that I've added then I can't log in at all (except as root/recovery) to uncomment them out again. Then, I can log in again, but the login process is super slow (minutes). It got slow when I first edited those files. It's only allowing local logins (accounts created on the client), but it feels like it's trying to do an LDAP thing too and I have to wait for some sort of timeout from LDAP and maybe from the /home export before the computer gets going. I was sloppy and in a hurry when I first edited those files. I should have made backups and kept a log of what I was doing, but I didn't. Is there any way to recreate the default conf files for pam and libnss and all that stuff? I'm getting the feeling I need to reinstall Ubuntu on that box and really start over. It's a drag, because I did a bunch of other configuring on that box to make it my workstation (dual monitors, etc., etc.).

Thanks,

ck

You should be able to run ldapsearch from the client by specifying the
server. I think the command is

ldapsearch -H hosturl -D bindname -W

but I don't have access to an LDAP server to check that at the moment.