[K12OSN] School Server

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sun Sep 28 14:32:13 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
>> Timothy Legge wrote:
>>> I would consider something other than Dell.  Unfortunately, I am in
>>> Canada and most of the time Customs and Brokerage fees just make it a
>>> hassle...
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> Assuming that building your own server is not an option here....
>>
>> Give both Penguin and ZaReason a call.  Perhaps they've dealt with
>> this and have an easy way to handle shipments to Canada.  Penguin's
>> been around for long enough that, who knows, they might have a
>> "dealership" of some sort up there.
>>
>> Failing that, then Les's suggestion of IBM is a good one.
>
> I haven't actually done the purchasing of these for a while - it used to
> be that IBM pricing was only competitive if you were a large customer
> and qualified for discounts where Dell took the opposite approach and
> often gave the best prices in the 'small/medium' business section of
> their on-line site.  But things might be different now - or in Canada.

With Dell, it is still that way.  A colleague and I were on the phone pricing
out a Dell server.  The price he was seeing was about $1000 less than what I was
seeing for an identical configuration.  The difference was he came through the
Small/Home Business link on the Dell website, and I came through the
Large/Enterprise link.  So, if you price out a Dell, make sure you try multiple
paths to the config you want.

Peter