[K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:38:29 UTC 2009

>On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2009 09:23 PM, David Hopkins wrote:
>>
>> Actually I can't make a claim either way since right now I'm confused
>> about just how much throughput I am getting without ltspbr0 even
>> present.  I install iftop as well as ntop and have tried launching
>> tuxmath on several thin clients simultaneously.
>
> Where do you find tuxmath?  It seems it isn't in Fedora 11 at least.

One location is here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34443  There
seems to be a newer version than what I am using
(tuxmath-1.5.4-1.src.rpm) so I'll try upgrading to the latest version.
 It requires compilation but looks fairly straightforward.  I'll try
that tonight.

>> For iftop: The first thin client used appr 38Mb/s just to bring up the
>> menu. When running, it was using appr 70Mb/s for the game.  The second
>> client likewise used appr 38Mb/s for the menu. However, the moment I
>> selected an option from the menu, both instances dropped to around
>> 56Mb/s.  When I added a third client, this dropped again, into the mid
>> 30Mb/s range.  The total throughput stayed constant at around 110Mb/s.
>>  However, even at 3 clients, the game was not playable (it was very
>> very slow).  I continued adding clients and iftop continued to report
>> that the max stayed around 110Mb/s but the bandwidth for each client
>> dropped with each addition.  At six clients, it was about 18Mb/s per
>> client.
>
> Does tuxmath normally use that insane amount of bandwidth?  70Mb/sec is
> comparable to 320x240 30fps Youtube video.  Absolutely nothing other than
> video in my experience using anything near that amount of bandwidth.

In my experience, it has always been a huge bandwidth hog.

>> However, the switch still showed that the link between it and the
>> server was 1000Mb/s.  So .. why is only about 1/10 of the bandwidth
>> being used as far as iftop is concerned?
>
> I have never used iftop before this, so I don't know how good it is.

I have to admit that I like iftop for spot checking. Now, if I can
actually trust the numbers it would be excellent :)