[K12OSN] Diskless Workstation Option

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 21:46:39 UTC 2009

There's actually not that clear a distinction. A beefy thin client
that runs some of its applications locally would be what you describe
as a diskless workstation.

It's possible to have a thin client that runs pretty much everything
on the server, a few apps locally, or something that downloads the OS
and runs everything itself only using the server for disk, as you
said.

k12linux tends more toward the all-on-the-server end and DRBL
(Diskless Remote Boot Linux) tends more toward the
nothing-on-the-server-but-the-disk end, but it's possible to create
something somewhere in between.

Todd