[K12OSN] Re: Re: Beta Fl_TeacherTool 0.71 for K12Linux (LTSP5)

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 01:20:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Rex,
>>>
>>> Since I am the developer one would expect me to be the obvious choice
>>> for this position. However, I am no longer using LTSP. I have switched
>>> to DRBL. I will be porting my software to that platform soon (as I
>>> need it for myself). However, I am committed to maintaining
>>> Fl_TeacherTool for LTSP in terms of  bug fixes and ensuring it works
>>> in the future but I probably won't be adding any new features. Except
>>> maybe one: shutdown class (LTSP5 makes this now possible)  As I
>>> understand it, being a maintainer involves testing it out in every new
>>> release of Fedora. What I propose is that I continue to maintain the
>>> code but that another person who is using ltsp be the package
>>> maintainer. I would of course work in co-operation with this person to
>>> ensure things work smoothly.
>>>
>>> On a side note: now that x11vnc is in the Fedora repo, this only
>>> leaves one package which Fl_TeacherTool needs that is not in the
>>> repos. It's vncsnapshot.
>>> http://vncsnapshot.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Actually there is tightvnc also. But I only need two files from that
>> package. From my install docs:
>>
>> cp vncviewer binary to /usr/bin but rename it to teachertool-vncviewer
>> cp vncpasswd binary to /usr/bin but rename it to teachertool-vncpasswd
>
> Could fedora tigervnc's vncviewer and vncpasswd suffice here?

Maybe. I picked tightvnc when RealVnc was the standard in Fedora.
VncReflector works best with Tightvnc and the BGR233 8-bit format.

"VNC Reflector is a specialized VNC server which acts as a proxy
sitting between real VNC server (host) and a number of VNC clients. It
was designed to work efficiently with large number of clients, but
current version is optimized to work primarily with clients that
request 8-bit color format known as BGR233. Other color formats are
supported too but performance may be worse if there are many such
clients."

What's the difference between tightvnc, realvnc and tigervnc? I
thought tigervnc was like realvnc.The command line args are different
for tight and real. I noticed tiger command line args are like
realvnc.

fl-tt uses tiger for monitor/control and tight for broadcasting (using
vncreflector) as the proxy.

--
Robert Arkiletian