[K12OSN] ssh into client in K12Linux

Stephen Crampton SteveSings at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:00:07 UTC 2009

Does anyone know how I can ssh into a thin client from K12Linux?

So far, I tried installing openssh in the chroot, creating keys in and out
of the chroot, and transferring public keys in and out of the chroot to
authorized_keys2 (linked to authorized_keys).  All files were under
/root/.ssh.

When I tried to run sshd in the chroot, it complained, so I copied and
renamed the keys and placed them under /etc/ssh (chroot).  Now sshd starts
in the chroot without complaint.

I wrote a one-line script to start sshd and put it under /usr/bin and
modified lts.conf to use it as a start-up script for all clients.

I did not mess with the passwd file or any startup scripts as described in
the LTSP documentation for LTSP 4, because I don't know how different they
may be in K12Linux.

When I try to ssh from the server to a client, I get no response: no denial
or error message or anything.