[K12OSN] OT - webmail recommendations?

Mon Feb 9 03:46:49 UTC 2009

Not if all he cares about is simplicity.  For that, you want squirrel.  That's simple, simple, simple.  OpenWebmail is another nice one, as is IMP.

If you want cool, full featured, head-turning, more secure than most, scalable, and reasonably easy to set up, go with Zimbra.

David L. Willson
Network Engineer
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kannan Krishnamurthy" <kannan.linuxadmin at gmail.com>
To: "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 8, 2009 8:40:18 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] OT - webmail recommendations?

hI,

This is kannan.

Try Zimbra mail server.

Good luck....

Regards,

A.K.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Joseph Bishay < joseph.bishay at gmail.com > wrote:

Hello People-who's-opinion-I-value-far-more-than-random-Google-results,

I'm trying to set up an email server on a spare box I have. It is a
pentium 4 so it should do the job. I've got CentOS 5.2 on it and it's
connected to a big enough pipe to be able to handle our email needs.
I'm just not sure which of the following webmail applications I should
install on it. The requirements are that maybe only 10-15 people will
have email accounts, and the volume of email will not be high for most
of them. My priority is ease of use -- these users are going to be
moving from hotmail/gmail to a domain-specific email address (as well
as ease of use for setup and administration for myself).

The webmail packages I have seen online are:

1) Squirrelmail ( http://www.squirrelmail.org/ )
2) Horde IMP ( http://www.horde.org/imp/ )
3) Roundcube ( http://roundcube.net/ )
4) Neomail ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/neomail/ )
5) Hastymail ( http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/ )
6) V-webmail ( http://v-webmail.sourceforge.net/ )

Now it would be nice (but not remotely crucial) if the webmail program
allowed access via a smartphone/PDA. I suppose I could just do it via
the smartphone's IMAP...

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with any of the above?

Thank you
Joseph

P.S. One last thing I'm thinking about is using the built-in email
client that OpenGoo has ( http://www.opengoo.org/ ) but I'm not sure if
it's suppose to be ready for prime-time yet.