[K12OSN] Re: OT - Upgrading Server - Copying Config Files

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 5 01:41:11 UTC 2009

If you want to go one step further, keep all config files in a tool like
subversion or CVS. Now changes are store and be rolled back if wrong.
Publish to their correct locations as required.

Also look at a tool called puppet. It is useful for maintaining configs
across many machines.

Lastly, keep your eye on a project called Spacewalk. It is the
opensource/GPL version of RedHat Satellite Server.

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 22:42 +0100, Nils Breunese wrote:
> Carl Keil wrote:
>
> > I wish I was as smart as the average Linux admin.  That's a really
> > elegant idea.  Here I am scratching my head and worrying that I
> > forgot something.  I wish there was a way to do some sort of "cat=>
> > " symlink.  Where you could literally have a directory with only the
> > changed bits.
>
> You could save the original config files and use diff to create files
> that show you what you changed (and store those diffs as well if you
> like). Other people like to version their complete /etc directory
> using something like Subversion.
>
> Nils Breunese.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering