[K12OSN] Fedora-9 LTSP - Need help with various issues - probably FAQ

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Jan 10 02:34:02 UTC 2009

John Ellson wrote:
> - Sound "works," if the classroom is silent and you have very good
> ears!      How do I increase the volume on all clients to a useful level?
>   In /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/*/lts.conf we have:
>      SOUND=True
>      VOLUME=100
>      HEADPHONE_VOLUME=100
>      PCM_VOLUME=100
>      FRONT_VOLUME=100
>  There was recent discussion, for Ubuntu, at:
>   should I be trying to apply this?

I have noticed this as well.  I am digging into this sometime soon myself.

> - If I plugin a USB memory stick in the client, I get an icon on the
> desktop, which I can open with nautilus, but none of the content is
> shown?    Where do I  look next?

I have never seen this personally, although I haven't used F9 for a few
months now.  Could you please try booting your server with the K12Linux
F10 Live Server and see if the clients behave the same there?

> - Where is the FAQ on how to update the client images properly?      I
> tried using yum in the chroot, but kernel updates didn't work, so now
> I'm  rebuilding the client images from scratch periodically.

After updating the kernels in the chroot, did you use
"ltsp-update-kernels" outside the chroot to copy the kernel from inside
the chroot to /var/lib/tftpboot/ARCH/?

> - Where is the step-by-step FAQ on configuring and installing local apps?

Umm... upstream should have this documented, if not please yell at them.
  The only thing unique about our local apps installation is yum instead
of apt.

> - Are last-modified-in-2004 FAQs like the one at:
> http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-en.html still
> accurate?   I assume that the current documentation is supposed to be at
> https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/, but there seems to be a lot missing
> there.

Could you please make a list of specific documentation items you really
need rewritten for K12Linux?  The old docs are so old that it would be
better to write them from scratch.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com