[K12OSN] Weird LTSP Boot error

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Jan 12 15:57:24 UTC 2009

Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope everyone is doing well.
>
> Just when I thought most of my issues were resolved, I see this
> [FAILED] message show up while I was rebooting the server  ( I was
> able to replicate the message via webmin reapplying the iptable rules)
>
> Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: mangle nat filter [  OK  ]
> Unloading iptables modules: [  OK  ]
> Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore v1.3.5: interface
> name `eth2_LTSP_Church' must be shorter than IFNAMSIZ (15)
> Error occurred at line: 11
> Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.
>
> I tried using Google to find out more about this error, but it gave me
> nothing but the code that generates it.  iptables-restore --help also
> gives nothing.
>
> The two interfaces' names were:
> eth0_LTSP_School
> eth1_Internet_Nic
> eth2_LTSP_Church
>
> But when I saw that message I changed eth0 and eth2 to:
>
> eth0LTSPSchool
> eth2LTSPChurch
>
> To make them shorter and restarted but that made no difference.
>
> What should I do?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Joseph

Hmm...haven't seen this one before.

I took a look at the include file (if.h), and it is "#defined" to be
16.  That apparently means that there can be a max of 16 characters in
the name of an interface.  However, "eth2LTSPChurch" is only 14
characters long.  "eth1_Internet_Nic", however, is 17 characters long.
Try shortening that one, too.

If that doesn't work, then my guess is that somehow Linux is adding a
few characters to the end of the interface names, and that you should
try shortening them yet more.  Maybe something like eth0School,
eth1Internet, and eth2Church.  You already know it's the LTSP server.  :-)

--TP