[K12OSN] RE: K12ltsp login

Bob Mead bmead at lane.k12.or.us
Fri Jan 16 18:52:09 UTC 2009

From: Rob Owens <rowens at ptd.net>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Re: K12ltsp login
To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
	<k12osn at redhat.com>

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 03:20:06PM -0800, Bob Mead wrote:

> > Try adding this to the [security] stanza of /etc/gdm/custom.conf:
> >
> > RelaxPermissions=1
> >
> > Might also try this in /etc/gdm/custom.conf:
> >
> > CheckDirOwner=false
> >
> > Do you find any .dmrc files with this command?
> >
> > updatedb && locate .dmrc
> >

> > Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
> > Multnomah ESD - Technology Services
> > 503-257-1562
> >
> > Dan:
> > I tried adding the Relax line and restarting gdm - did not fix the problem.
> > I added the CheckDir line and again restarted gdm  (using gdm stop and gdm
> > restart - both of which return "GDM already running. Aborting!" so its
> > probably not working. I ran the update & locate - it found a large number
> > of .dmrc files all except mine being in the user's /home directory. Mine is
> > located in /oldhome and it will not let me copy or move it, seemingly no
> > matter what I do to the permissions or ownership - either as myself or as
> > root. Any further thoughts on what I might try?

Dan: I tried changing to relaxpermissions=2 and rebooted, no change. Why
does gdm restart (or gdm stop) return "GDM already running. Aborting!"
.  I tried the gdmflexiserver cmd as detailed in custom.conf, i.e. -
gdmflexiserver --command="UPDATE_CONFIG security/Relax Permissions=2"
returned 'OK' so I think that got it, but I'm a little confused by the
above error(s).

The root user may not be allowed to change permissions of the files on an nfs-mounted /home directory.  NFS defaults to the "root_squash" option.  You could try exporting /home with the "no_root_squash" option.

-Rob

Thanks Rob, that fixed it! Unfortunately it brought up another problem: now my login screen goes blank after I enter my username and password and eventually returns to start all over again, i.e.- asking for username and password. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
	~bob