[K12OSN] Streaming video

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Jan 27 19:34:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Brian Chivers
<brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dan Young wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Brian Chivers
>> <brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> That was my line of thought but I couldn't get the files to convert very
>>> well to flash video that will run full screen on a 42" TFT .  If anyone
>>> has
>>> managed this with ffmpeg I'd be VERY please to hear about it :-)
>>>

>> I did this for the Inauguration:
>> http://wiki.videolan.org/Flash_Video
>>
>> I streamed to the JW FLV Player applet, though I probably would have
>> used FlowPlayer had I known about it. Worked great; VLC transcoded a
>> live over-the-air broadcast to FLV1/mp3 and served up 100 streams
>> without breaking a sweat.
>
> I did think of that but couldn't get the files to high enough quality for
> fullscreen use. I'm looking a unreal server @ the mo & it's looking good :-)

Cutting the frame rate in half (15fps) with "sout-transcode-fps" let
us keep the bitrate lower while getting passable image detail. Play
with that and the bitrate "sout-transcode-vb" until you get what
you're looking for.

I was a bit disappointed that VLC couldn't transcode to a h.264 Flash
stream, because the quality was significantly better than FLV1. FLV
was acceptable given our constraints and really didn't look too bad if
you take a few steps back from the monitor.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services